For the first time ever, Samsung is giving everyone a chance to see its newest devices in virtual reality (VR) by streaming the event live in 360 degrees. You’ll have your choice of viewing angle, as in the auditorium, stage left, stage right, or center stage. It’ll be like you’re right there in Barcelona with the Digital Trends team.
Samsung obviously wants you to experience this event using the Gear VR, but the good news is that you can still enjoy it whether you own one or not. You can use Google Cardboard, or even your PC.
Watching Unpacked on a PC
- Visit the Galaxy Unpacked event page.
- Choose one of four viewing angles.
Watching Unpacked on a mobile device or Google Cardboard
- Download and install the Unpacked 360 View app from either Google Play (Android) or the App Store (iOS).
- Open the app when the event starts and select your viewing angle.
- You can watch it on your mobile device without a VR headset. Just move it around to see all 360 degrees. Consequently, if you own a VR headset like Google Cardboard, you can insert your phone in that to experience it in VR.
Watching Unpacked with the Gear VR
- Open the Oculus Store on your Samsung compatible Galaxy Phone (S6, S6 Edge, S6 Edge Plus, Note 4, and Note 5) and download and install the Unpacked 360 View app.
- Insert your phone in the Gear VR headset when the event starts.
- Launch the app and select your viewing angle.
While the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge will likely be the featured headliner of Unpacked, Samsung is likely to make a big splash in VR with the announcement of the Gear 360 VR camera. It has also been rumored that Samsung may give free Gear VR headsets to everyone who pre-orders the Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge.