Valve’s SteamVR Monitoring system is nice for VR however actually not restricted to it. For builders, hackers, researchers, and extra who may need use for a reasonable high accuracy, low latency, 6 DOF positional monitoring system, it’s doable to make use of the brand new Vive Trackers or controllers (even with a single base station) with no need to shell out for the complete $800 Vive system.
Visitor Article by Luke Beno
Beno runs Triad Semiconductor’s Arctic VR Lab (aka Triad’s Inexperienced Bay Lab – Go Pack!). Triad Semiconductor labored with Valve Company to create the Gentle to Digital Converter ICs (TS3633) for SteamVR Monitoring. Beno speaks Python and English and his workplace smells of solder and 3D printing. He spends his days and nights guaranteeing that SteamVR Monitoring ICs and systems present precision monitoring and he helps SteamVR users across the globe with the development of Tracked Objects.
The aim of this tutorial is to supply step-by-step steerage on how one can get began with SteamVR Tracking 6DOF positional monitoring for as little as $235. On this tutorial, the newest model of SteamVR Beta, is coupled with python 3.6, the pyopenvr library and the triad_openvr Python wrapper.
- One HTC Vive Basestation (Two Basestations even have benefits)
- One of many following SteamVR compatible Tracked Objects:
- x86-based PC
Software program Required:
Be aware: Presently that is only examined on Home windows however must also apply to Linux
- SteamVR software with choose in for the Beta
- Python three.6 (Anaconda Package advisable)
- pyopenvr, set up with the next command:
pip set up pyopenvr
- triad_openvr, Obtain from github and unzip
- Obtain and set up the above software elements
- Find the next configuration file and open it with a textual content editor: <Steam Listing>steamappscommonSteamVRresourcessettingsdefault.vrsettings
- Seek for the “requireHmd” key below “steamvr”, set the worth of this key to “false”. The following is a .vrsettings file that has been examined as useful:
- If SteamVR is working, shut and restart it
- When SteamVR restarts, you will note that it’s now doable to connect a tracker or controller with out the HMD.
Be aware: “Not Ready” textual content is regular and doesn’t influence this tutorial
- Open a command immediate and navigate to the folder the place triad_openvr was unzipped
- If you’re testing with a Vive Tracker, run the next script
- If you’re testing with a Controller, run the next script
- Because the script executes, you will note numbers updating at 250Hz. These are the realtime 6DOF pose coordinates!
The aim of this tutorial was strictly to supply a fast proof of idea that demonstrates that an HMD is in truth not a requirement to be used of SteamVR.
Python is an especially extensible language and this instance code might present a foundation for a lot of spinoff initiatives. These similar ideas additionally simply apply to different programming languages reminiscent of C, C++ C#, and so forth.
In case you have any questions or wish to share your mission primarily based on this tutorial, please contact us at [email protected].
The submit How to Use the HTC Vive Tracker Without a Vive Headset appeared first on Road to VR.