A night devoted to celebrating the previous years VR accomplishments.
Again in March, VR Bound together with their companions AMD, Foundry and HP requested VR fanatic from throughout the globe to appoint VR experiences, hardware, startups and improvements in 12 completely different classes for the inaugural 2017 VR Awards; a chic black-tie event which will probably be held on the legendary Central London venue 8 Northumberland Avenue on October ninth.
VR was an enormous a part of final 12 months with new experiences, hardware and firms pushing the know-how to the forefront of our on a regular basis lives. 360VR movies and photographs grew to become an everyday a part of our social media feeds, billions of invested in VR know-how development, and a VR experience for the whole lot from film trailers, company coaching and Presidential farewells. It was certainly an enormous 12 months for VR.
I spoke with VR Sure co-founder, Daniel Colaianni about what he hopes the VR Awards would obtain for VR know-how and he says, “The VR Awards exists to promote growth and achievement throughout the immersive industry by reinvesting in promoting strategic partnerships.” The ceremony could have a few of VR’s largest luminaries in attendance all there to have a good time a few of the excellent milestones within the business.
With nearly 500 nominations submitted and the nomination course of lastly tallied, VR Sure has formally announced their nominee shortlist which incorporates names that you’d anticipate to be on a VR award checklist, in addition to some surprises. Colaianni informed me, “the outstanding nomination process for the VR Awards 2017 is anything to go by, future years will continue to build upon the astounding work our nominees have been producing.” A lot in order that organizers are already taking registered pursuits for 2018.
Additionally announced was the judging panel that features virtual reality consultants comparable to Josh Naylor of Unity Applied sciences, Jenn Duong of Shiift, and CEO of Spiral Media Megan Gaiser. The entire checklist of judges may be discovered here.
Talking with Josh Naylor from Unity Applied sciences about what he’ll be searching for on the subject of deciding on within the class of VR experiences, “The best use of VR content material for me is when it really enhances an experience, one thing that may be a thousand occasions extra enriching to the user when in Digital Reality in comparison with a flat 2D experience,” including, “a product that immerses the user right into a world they usually overlook about their bodily environment.”
As for VR hardware, Naylor says, “I’m looking for something that allows the aforementioned content to reach its full potential whilst making itself as accessible as possible to consumers.”
Organizers of the 2017 VR Awards thought out every class very fastidiously to ensure the VR business was correctly represented throughout this night time of recognition. Colaianni says “Our mission of being an inclusive awards body for the immersive sector spans far beyond just entertainment.” Together with classes that you’d anticipate, comparable to gaming and leisure, I used to be excited to see a class for VR training and coaching. An space of VR that I’ve personally completed quite a lot of analysis on.
I reached out to Steve Bambury; Head of Digital Studying and Innovation at JESS Dubai, and requested him about his ideas on VR training and coaching being acknowledged on the award ceremony. He informed me, “The inclusion of an award for Best use of VR in Education and Training is a clear indication that developers are starting to recognize the potential that VR offers beyond entertainment.” He continues, “current students will grow up in a world that is permeated by VR on many levels so it’s important to introduce them to the concept.”
However sufficient with the class details, let’s dive proper into the enjoyable stuff, take a look at every class and see who made the nominee shortlist.
One thing to notice, all nominees needed to be centered on a virtual reality experience, and never an augmented reality experience.
Nominees for VR Headset of the 12 months
- HTC – Vive
- Oculus – Rift
- Razer – OSVR
- Sony – Playstation VR
- Starbreeze – StarVR
Nominees for Cellular Headset of the 12 months
- Merge VR – Goggles
- Google – Daydream View
- Samsung – Gear VR
- Homido – V2
Nominees for VR of the 12 months.
- Somniacs – Birdly
- Leap Movement – Leap Motion
- Oculus – Contact
- Nullspace VR – Hardlight Swimsuit
- Ultrahaptics – Ultrahaptics
Nominees for VR Recreation of the 12 months
- Owlchemy Labs & Grownup Swim Video games – Rick and Morty: Digital Rick-ality
- Epic Video games – Robo Recall
- Dylan Fitterer – Audioshield
- Playful – Fortunate’s Story
- Metal Crate Video games – Preserve Speaking and No one Explodes
- Survios – Uncooked Information
- Tender Claws – Digital Digital Reality
- Vertigo Video games & Jaywalkers Interactive – Arizona Sunshine
- SUPERHOT Group – SUPERHOT VR
- Rise up – Battlezone
- Prepared At Daybreak – Lone Echo
Nominees for Progressive Firm of the 12 months
- Zero Latency
- Technicolor Expertise Heart
- G’Audio Lab
- Merge VR
- Jaunt VR
Nominees for Expertise of the 12 months
- WEVR – theBlu
- Horizons Studio – Horizons VR
- Towards Gravity – Rec Room
- Google – Tilt Brush
- Google – Google Earth VR
- Magnopus – Mission:ISS
- BBC & REWIND – House – A VR Spacewalk
- Toast – Richie’s Plank Expertise
Nominees for Most Artistic use of Advertising and marketing in VR
- Greenpeace – Digital Explorer
- Concept Studio – UNICEF 360
- Ford Motor Firm / GTB Company – Ford F-150 Raptor: Born to Baja
- Pebble Studios – ABC – ’Catch Jack’ Time after Time
- IKEA – IKEA VR
- Creativeness & REWIND – Jaguar Electrifies – The Future Is Now
- Kuju – The Chainsmokers: Paris VR
- Framestore – Incredible Beasts and The place to Discover Them: VR
- RSA VR – Alien: Covenant In Utero | A Digital Reality Expertise
- Infinite360 – Capital Creates Change
Nominees for Interactive VR Media/Movie of the 12 months
- fifth Wall – ‘The Mummy’ Zero Gravity Stunt VR Expertise
- Google – Tabel
- Baobab Studios – INVASION!
- Penrose Studios – Allumette
- Anotherworld VR – KOBOLD VR
- Hver Sin Stilhed – Separate Silences
Nominees for VR Startup of the 12 months
- Inception VR
- Cerevrum Inc.
- MANDT VR
Nominees for Best use of VR in Schooling and Coaching
- Unimersiv – Digital Reality Instructional Experiences
- Make Actual – PROCAT
- Leiceter Hearth and Rescue Providers – VF4-360
- VirtualSpeech – VirtualSpeech
- Boulevard Arts, Inc – Boulevard
- Cerevrum Inc. – Ability Hub VR
- Make Actual – EDF Vitality “Reactor Builder”
- Industrial Coaching Worldwide – ITI Crane Simulator
- Alchemy VR – House Descent VR with Tim Peake
Nominees for Best use of VR in Healthcare
- AiSolve – VRSIMS
- Occo VR – Osso VR
- Vivid Imaginative and prescient – Vivid Imaginative and prescient
- Tribemix – ImmersiCare
Nominees for Best out of the house VR Expertise
- THE VOID – THE VOID’s Ghostbusters: Dimension
- Common Park & Resorts – The Repository
- Thorpe Park Merlin Leisure – Derren Brown’s Ghost Prepare
- Zero Latency – Zero Latency
- REWIND & Welsh Nationwide Opera – Magic Butterfly
There you go, that’s the VR Sure VR Awards shortlist for 2017. Tell us what you assume by leaving a remark under. Was there a VR experience or hardware that wasn’t listed that you simply really feel ought to have been?