A few days in the past, I took a shot at tech corporations that had ignored the role their services had performed in enabling white supremacist and neo-nazi teams. Not it seems the Nazi-fueled violence in Charlottesville final weekend prompted a rising variety of tech corporations to take motion.
Right here’s a listing of identified corporations which have moved to present hate teams the boot:
1. Facebook: Belatedly took down hyperlinks to an offensive weblog put up by Neo-Nazi web site The Each day Stormer and eliminated serveral right-wing pages.
2. Spotify: Mentioned it was eradicating music from teams labeled “hate bands.”
three. Apple: Disabled Apple Pay for a number of websites promoting Nazi and white supremacist memorabilia.
four. PayPal: Took related steps as Apple.
5. Discord: Reduce off entry for altright.com.
6. Squarespace: Eliminated a number of hate websites from its service.
7. Twitter: Suspended a few accounts linked to The Each day Stormer.
eight. Cloudflare: Mentioned it will now not permit Stormer to make use of its DDoS safety service.
9. GoDaddy: Gave The Each day Stormer web site the boot from its service.
10. Google: Additionally blocked Stormer from registering its web site.
11. Coinbase: Blocked bitcoin transfers to Stormer.
12. Uber: Banned a few identified white supremacists from its service.
13. Airbnb: Blocked a number of neo-nazis from utilizing its service for the Unite the Proper event in Charlottesville.
Lastly, right this moment Apple CEO Tim Cook dinner announced the corporate was donating $1 million every to the “Southern Poverty Law Center and the Anti-Defamation League. We will also match two-for-one our employees’ donations to these and several other human rights groups, between now and September 30. In the coming days, iTunes will offer users an easy way to join us in directly supporting the work of the SPLC.”
In an email to employees, he additionally wrote:
What occurred in Charlottesville has no place in our nation. Hate is a most cancers, and left unchecked it destroys the whole lot in its path. Its scars final generations. Historical past has taught us this time and time once more, each in the USA and countries around the globe.
We should not witness or allow such hate and bigotry in our nation, and we should be unequivocal about it. This isn’t concerning the left or the correct, conservative or liberal. It’s about human decency and morality. I disagree with the president and others who imagine that there’s a ethical equivalence between white supremacists and Nazis, and those that oppose them by standing up for human rights. Equating the 2 runs counter to our beliefs as Individuals.
Know of extra providers which have taken motion? Allow us to me know at [email protected] and we’ll add their names to the record.